Thursday, September 30, 2010

THE COST

This week I want to talk about how crucial it is to boldly fight for our families. Satan wants to defeat, discourage, and destroy our families.  His attacks are not just willy nilly attempts to trip us up or knock us down.  He wants to take us out.

I know this seems like a heavy subject for a today blog… a late Tuesday blog at that.  But, I have a fire burning in my stomach from the hyper awareness of how crafty and strategic Satan really is.  He has made me fighting mad this week and I can’t help but address it.

Do you know why Satan’s tactics are called schemes in 2 Corinthians 2: 10-11?  A scheme is a plan, design, or program of action.  Satan’s schemes are well thought through plans specifically targeted to do 3 things:

1.  To increase your desire for something outside the will of God.
2.  To make you think giving in to a weakness is no big deal.
3.  To minimize your ability to think through the consequences of falling to this temptation.

Oh how I wish we could see the cost of each of our choices as clearly as a price tag on items in a store.  Or as clearly as the caloric cost of food choices offered on menus in New York (did you know they have that in New York?  fabulous!)  If I know how much something is going to cost me, I make such wiser choices.

So, Satan is a master of keeping that cost hidden until it’s too late.

Sweet sisters, I think this is something worth thinking about.  And I think it is something worth talking to our kids about.  Think of age appropriate examples of how costly stupid decisions can be.  Be real and raw and bold as you walk them through different scenarios of temptations they will face.

How much will this really cost me?  If we teach ourselves and our kids nothing else this week then to ask this one question, we will have invested wisely.  So, so very wisely.

No comments: