Monday, October 11, 2010

Growing Children Of Destiny! (2)

(Family Success)
 
It is my privilege to welcome you again and share with you from God's Word. I began a series on how you can grow children of destiny. I laid the foundation of having to start with those areas of your life that you will not want your children to imbibe, as they grow into adulthood.

This week I shall be shedding light on what I titled: The Rod Of Discipline.
Discipline means training, especially of the mind and character, aimed at producing self-control, obedience, etc.

The Bible clearly put it this way: Folly is bound up in the heart of a child, but the rod of discipline will drive it far from him (Prov 22:15). Disciplining your child is not in any way a sign of hatred, but a way to demonstrate that you want the best for your child. Prov 23:13-14 admonishes parents: Do not withhold discipline from a child; if you punish him with the rod, he will not die. Punish him with the rod and save his soul from death.

There are lots of young adults today, who would have being blessings to others, but because their parents do not discipline them, they end up with bad gangs and some losing their lives. This shall not be your potion. Your children shall not miss it in destiny.

Susanna Wesley, who lived two centuries ago and turned out two of that generation's most dedicated ministers - Charles and John Wesley, (as well as nine other children), had an interesting philosophy on rearing children.

The child who refuses to go to bed at night is the same child that refuses to learn scriptures and follow the Lord.  Just as surely as I'd see that child go to bed, I'd see that child come to God.

To refuse to discipline your child is to prepare him for destruction.  That was how Phinehas and Hophni, the two sons of Eli were destroyed.  Their father refused to discipline them. He knew about their immorality, yet he was complacent. This was his response as recorded in the Bible: For I have told him that I will judge his house forever for the iniquity which he knoweth; because his sons made themselves vile, and he restrained them not (1 Samuel 3:13)

One of the great men of God in our generation has this inscription written and displayed in their premises. He said, "It is better to train a child than to repair an adult". The day I read these words I decided in my heart that my children will not grow into adults that will need repairs. I will see to it that they are trained and disciplined and I tell you it pays. The best way to secure peace in old age is to raise disciplined children.

The Bible declares: Discipline your son, and he will give you peace; he will bring delight to your soul (Prov 29:17). Now that they are still under your roof, as much as you can, be firm in instilling good ethics and they will not miss their mark in life.

It takes being a child of God to truly understand how to grow your children into destiny. If you are not yet born again and you would like to, please pray this simple prayer: Dear Jesus, I come to You today acknowledging that I am a sinner needing Your forgiveness. I believe You died for me and rose again on the third day. Forgive me my sins, wash me with Your Blood and write my name in Your Book of Life. Thank You Lord for saving me.
Congratulations!  You are now born again and a child of God.

No comments: